A couple of weeks ago I was browsing through wedding related pages on Facebook and came across a discussion about a wedding that cost the couple Kshs 200,000 or less to plan. Surprised, I wanted to see the breakdown of the wedding budget to understand how they pulled it off especially when weddings in Kenya have been branded as EXPENSIVE. Thankfully, I did not have to wait for long,because soon enough the administrator of the page, put up the budget and the breakdown for all to see.
Budget weddings are possible. You do not have to take a loan or burden friends with strenuous committee meetings to contribute towards a very high budget. Here are some steps to help your plan a classy and fun wedding with the funds available.
- Step 1: Prepare a budget that contains all the providers you will need for the wedding and allocate approximate amounts to them. The suggested amounts will give you an idea of the total budget needed for the wedding to take place.
- Step 2: Settle on the amount of money you are comfortable spending on the wedding. If possible pick a figure without speculating on the amount of money you MAY receive from friends or family. You can start off with the amount that is currently in your savings account or what you can put aside till the wedding day.
- Step 3: Decide on the most important aspects of your wedding such as entertainment, cake, photography and how much money you are going to spend on them. When you have set aside money for the “must haves” you can allocate the remaining the budget to the other service providers.
- Step 4: Shop around for service providers that fit within your budget. You can ask for recommendations from friends and family that have had weddings before. In case, you are not satisfied with their suggestions, browse through local wedding directories and wedding related Facebook groups to find vendors that can work with your budget.
- Step 5: Do not be afraid to ask for discounts if you like a vendor’s work but find their costs a bit high. You can even ask them to create a package that can work with the money you have at hand. Most wedding service providers will do their best to accommodate your requests.
Below is the budget, courtesy of the Facebook group Brides on a budget marketplace .